Thursday, August 1, 2013

The first few days.

So... I arrived in Tucson on the 29th. We spent the day running errands and such and stayed there that night. The next day we did a lot of shopping (Walmart, Costco, etc). We left Tucson on the 30th around 6pm. We drove until about 11pm when we got a hotel. The next morning (Wednesday) we got up and finished the drive, arriving in Huachinera around noon. 

That night we went to church in Bacerac. I sat in while Heidi taught the middle schoolers. Wednesday was also Heidi's birthday so we celebrated after church with Coke and snacks (a little raisin cake thing, not sure what it was). I mostly chatted with a girl whose name I cannot spell or pronounce, haha. Her and I were partners for a game we played when the Torches interns were here in April. She told me about her family and I told her that I like pizza and ice cream. What else am I supposed to talk about when my Spanish is so limited? Hahaha!

Yesterday we spent most of the day unloading all of the stuff for Daisy's (Heidi's sister) house. She is renting a house in the town square. Her and Heidi will also have their photography studio there. 

Thursday through Sunday there is an annual party in Huachinera. I don't really know what it is for but basically the town square is full of small rides, games, food and a huge stage for bands. Imagine Pig Out in the Park, but on a smaller scale, and this one goes until four or five in the morning. Heidi and Daisy opened up the studio for people to get pictures with their friends. In Tucson, we bought ingredients to make banana splits, I sold those in the kitchen. Here are a few photos from the festival...


A few funny stories...
I was telling Heidi a story and used the expression "like a deer in the headlights". Apparently she had never heard it before, so she immediately got the image in her head and couldn't stop laughing! 

Then at church I was talking to a lady who is 28 years old. I was meaning to tell her that she looked younger (joven) than she was, but I ended up telling her she looked older (viejo)!!! How embarrassing! She knew what I meant so she corrected me and we all laughed about it!

I also mixed up the words for niece and nephew (sobrina/sobrino) with the words for aunt and uncle (tia/tio). I was telling them about my nephew and putting my hand low to the ground, trying to show how small he was. They must've thought I had a midget uncle or something...

...gotta love language barriers, right? 

It has been a little difficult not having a schedule... some people would LOVE that, but I am a planner. I love knowing what is next at exactly what time. This has made it a little bit tough for me to find time to read my bible. Today I was finally able to sit down for an hour or so and just read by myself. It was actually God's perfect timing for me. He brought me to this scripture...

Psalm 62:8
Trust in him at all times, 
O people; pour out your heart before him; 
God is a refuge for us. 

How awesome?? God knew exactly what I needed to hear in that moment. I can pour out my heart fully and completely to God... when it feels like no one understands what I am feeling... when I am frustrated about not being able to understand things... when I miss my family and friends... when I am tired. I feel as though I shouldn't be feeling these things when I have only been here for a few days, but everyone tells me that the first few days are sometimes the hardest. 

God has also given me moments of peace... for example, yesterday Heidi and I were driving in the car and I asked her if I could pass as just a pale Mexican or if I just look really American... she said, "No, they willl be able to tell that you are American right off the bat!" She made a motion like she was swinging a bat and the car swerved when she took her hand off the wheel. For some reason it was so funny to us! We could not stop laughing. In that moment, I felt like family. She felt like my sister. I don't know how to explain it, but I knew that moment was from The Lord. He is a refuge and a comforter. 

The internet at Heidi and Conrad's is WAY better than I expected! I have been able to iMessage and FaceTime without any problems! If you want to keep in touch, you can message me on Facebook, or email me at shelbgeorge@gmail.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment