Sunday, August 18, 2013

My Mexican vacation.

WOW! I'm exhausted. But the good kind of exhausted. Like the exhausted you feel when you are just getting home from vacation...

The last ten days were amazing! Heidi and Conrad asked me shortly after I got here if I wanted to go with them to Peñasco. They really want me to experience their life and ministry while I am here, and a lot of their life consists of traveling. It was a little weird for me though. You see, we left for vacation only a week and a half after I arrived in Huachinera, so in a way, I still felt like I was on vacation. Then we left for a real vacation... kind of threw me off, haha.

I'll start from the beginning...
We headed out on a Thurdsay to Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora (the state we live in). It was about a 4 or 5 hour drive. We only stayed there for one night, but it was really cool to see a big city. We went to dinner at a restaurant that had a real live Mariachi band!  That was very fun and very loud!

The next day we left to Puerto Peñasco, commonly known to Americans as Rocky Point. Another long drive, about 7 hours. Heidi and Conrad used to live in Peñasco before they moved to Huachinera. They were sent out as missionaries from Peñasco Christian Fellowship about 5 years ago. Our reason for going was for them to speak at the church and fill people in on how the ministry is doing in Huachinera. We were there for five days. We went to the beach multiple times, had several meals with old friends of theirs, went to a movie, went to church.
My favorite part was one dinner in particular. Stan and Becky are the pastors of Peñasco Christian Fellowship, which is in partnership with my home church, Life Center. Dave and Cheryl oversee the Mission Center that the church has. Since Life Center sends groups of missionaries to Peñasco multiple times a year, we knew a lot of the same people! It was such a blessing to be able to chat with the four of them about where I am from and to see the work that my church family has done there! The house that we had dinner in was built by a team from Life Center! How cool?! Another team from Life Center will be going to Peñasco in October and Cheryl emailed Heidi to ask if I could come! She even offered to drive to Tucson to pick me up! I feel so blessed that they want me to come back, and am praying that it will work out!
We also got to serve with a ministry called Two Fish. Heidi and Conrad's best friends are in charge of it. They feed the hungry in Peñasco Monday-Friday. There is preaching before every meal and many people have been saved through this ministry. What an amazing experience that was.
Another highlight was being able to watch my dear friend Cami on America's Got Talent. We don't get the channel in Huachinera, so we can't watch it here. Heidi and I were ecstatic when we found out we could watch it in Peñasco!
And then of course there was the beach. Mmmm. The water was so warm... the sunsets were so beautiful... it was a true blessing and I think The Lord knew that it was exactly what I needed. He is so good and gracious to us.

Sooo... after five wonderful days in Penasco, we headed to Tucson. This time only a three hour drive. Heidi and Conrad needed to help their parents with some paperwork so we were there for four days. We did some much needed shopping for clothes, school supplies, groceries, etc. They showed me some great places to eat! If you are ever in Tucson make sure you go to Eegee's! It is soooo good! Also, I enjoyed a refreshing Starbucks chai, venti of course! We also got to watch the AGT results show and see Cami move on to the semi-finals! So cool!

Yesterday we took the long trek back to Huachinera. It is about a ten hour drive if you make a few stops for food/bathroom breaks, and the closer you get to Huachinera, the curvier the roads get. Talk about carsick. Needless to say, we were thanking Jesus when we pulled in last night around 10:30.

Here are a few pictures from our trip...









So, that has been my last 10 days. School starts here tomorrow so things are about to get crazy busy! Thank you so much for reading and if you want to, please message me with some feedback! I would love to know who reads these posts! 

Love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment