Friday, February 7, 2014

I'm HOME!

First, let me say that I am so sorry that it has taken me this long to even write this! I realize many people still think that I am just visiting or are wondering when I will be returning to Mexico! I will answer all of those questions.

I have been back for almost a month now... I guess I was waiting for it to be easier before I started writing my blog about being home. Let me tell you, after almost a month... it is still hard.

I love being with my family and friends. I love going back to work.  I love being back at my church. I love the beautiful Pacific Northwest. But part of my heart is still in Mexico. I miss my family and friends there. I miss teaching. I miss speaking Spanish everyday. I miss the WEATHER!!!! I have told people that I wasn't ready to leave, but after thinking a little bit about it... I don't know if I would've ever really been ready.

I'm gonna take a second to answer some of the questions that I've been asked the most since I have been home.

1.) "What are you doing now that you are home? Where are you living? Working?
      I am currently living with my sister, her husband and their son. It was such a blessing to have a place to come home to! They have graciously opened up their home to me and, while it is a little far from everything, you can't complain about free rent! So thankful for their generosity!
     I am back to work at The Onion (3.5 years strong!). I LOVE MY JOB! I can't tell you enough. I feel so blessed that they let me come back after taking an extended amount of time off and it was so nice to not have to come home and go straight to job hunting. I am also nannying part-time and am enjoying that very much!
     I am serving again at Life Center in the Student Ministries and Worship departments. Same as I was before I left. I missed it so much and am so happy to be doing it again. Love being back with my church family.
     Other than that I am just hanging out. Spending time with friends and family, catching up with people. It has been fun having such warm welcomes from everyone.

2.) "When are you going back to Mexico?"
      I am so blessed and honored to have been asked to be the female leader for the Life Center intern trip in May! Leaving was just a little bit easier knowing when I would be returning. We will be going back to the same place we went last year, which is the place that I was living for the six months that I was down there. I am so excited and cannot wait to see what God does.

3.) "Sooo... what's next?"
      The short answer to that is that I have no idea... haha! My short term plans are to just keep working and save up some money. I am traveling to New York later this month to visit some friends! God blessed me with a round trip ticket for about $160, so my best friend and I will be spending a week there. Then of course there is Mexico later this year. I plan on doing a marathon at some point in 2014 which is exciting/scary. Really though, that's about it. I don't have any huge plans.
      I can tell you that I will go where ever God takes me. After taking such a huge step of faith and moving to Mexico and seeing how faithful God was, I can honestly say that I one hundred percent, without a doubt, will go where ever he leads me. Whether that is back to Mexico, Africa, Texas, Nebraska, or even Washington forever... anywhere He wants. He is so faithful and eager to bless our obedience.

4.) "What is the biggest thing you learned in Mexico?"
     Alright, I'll try to keep this one short. The biggest thing I learned while being in Mexico is that sometimes we have to rest in the fact that God chooses us. When we feel unsatisfied with our circumstances, uncertain of our calling, disappointed in ourselves/others... we have to rest in the fact that where ever we are in life or ministry... HE CHOSE US. During my first two months in Mexico, I wrestled with God about why I was there and what his purposes were. He taught me to rest solely in the fact that He put me there and I didn't need all the answers. He chose me to be there and over time I realized some of the reasons why.  I don't know if that makes complete sense, but honestly that question could be answered in an entire blog post alone.

5.) "Are you struggling with reverse culture shock?"
     Even a month later, yes, I still am. I was out to lunch with a friend the other day and while browsing at the menu I realized something. The cost of my burger was the same price as an average electricity bill for people in the town I was living in. I could spend money on that burger without even thinking about it, all the while some of my friends in Mexico are living everyday wondering how they will pay their next bill. Let that sink in. It's insane. That is just a small glimpse into some of the reverse culture shock I have been dealing with.

So, that's that. I plan on keeping my blog going now that I am home so tune in if you so desire. 

Thank you again to everyone who supported me during my time in Mexico. You will NEVER know how much it meant to me. I felt so loved during my time there, even from afar.

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment